Subject: Social Studies
Lesson Length: 25 - 35 mins
Topic: Impact of Agriculture
Grade Level: 2, 3, 4
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will learn and explain how agriculture has impacted their state.
Know Before You Start: Students should have a basic understanding of agriculture and its economic connections.
Ask students to write down everything they ate in the last day or two.
Post a couple meals on the board and break down some of the ingredients as a class.
Discuss where they believe the ingredients came from.
Discuss the importance of agriculture and highlight a few examples from your state.
- Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a two-to-three-panel comic illustrating a product of agriculture that has impacted their state. For example, corn in Iowa.
- The comic could include but is not limited to:
- Why the state makes the product.
- Who benefits from the product.
- Physical features in the state that makes the product possible.
Showcase student comics in a gallery walk or digitally.
Have students vote on the top three products they feel are most important to their state and have them reflect on why they think this.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
- Assign products for students to research.
- Comic to print or display
Suggested Content Packs: