Subject: Social Studies
Lesson Length: 50 - 55 mins
Topic: Cultural Diversity
Brief Description: Students will explore different cultural events throughout their state and learn why they are important.
Know Before You Start: Students should have an understanding of what culture is and the type of characteristics that make up a culture.
- Read and discuss the sample comic.
- Ask students if they ever attend any state cultural events.
- Discuss and ask questions about the event.
- Have students explore cultural events in their city or state.
- Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a one-to-three-panel comic that introduces a cultural event that takes place in their state.
- The comics should:
- Name the culture.
- Describe the details of the event that relate to that culture.
- Give basic information about the event itself, e.g., when, where, why, etc.
- Have students present their comic to the class.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.