Subject: SEL (Social-Emotional Learning)
Lesson Length: 45 mins
Topic: Relationship Skills
Grade Level: 5, 6, 7
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Set your students up for life in and out of school by teaching them about healthy vs. unhealthy relationships.
Know Before You Start: This lesson works well as part of an overall unit on social emotional skills and relationship building.
Hook: Read and discuss the sample comic.
- What makes this interaction healthy?
- What would be an unhealthy response to Mrs. Bigg’s friend’s request?
- Discuss the things that make a friendship or school relationship healthy, and what makes them unhealthy. Focus on respect and compromise.
Have students create a three-panel comic demonstrating their understanding of healthy vs. unhealthy relationships.
The comic should include an interaction between two people and a conflict.
The comic may show a healthy or unhealthy interaction. If the interaction is unhealthy, a caption must explain why the interaction is unhealthy.
Remind students to consider the following as they create their comic:
How do we demonstrate respect?
How do we compromise to make decisions?
How do we respect each others' boundaries?
Share the comics and read aloud to the class, reinforcing what was healthy or unhealthy about the interactions shown.
Display the comics on a bulletin board or online.
- Allow students to use speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
- Provide a printed copy of the sample comic.
- Comic to print or display: Comic.
Suggested Content Packs:
Suggested Story Starters: