Subject: ELA (English Language Arts)
Lesson Length: 30 mins
Topic: Frequently Confused Words There/Their/They’re
Grade Level: 4
Objective: Analysis, Explanation
Brief Description: Students will correctly use frequently confused words there/their/they’re.
Know Before You Start: Students often struggle writing the correct form of the frequently used words there, their, and they’re. This lesson will help clarify common misuse of these words.
- Read and discuss Comic #1 illustrating how to use there, their, and they’re.
- Ask students to discuss with a partner the meaning of there/their/they’re as demonstrated in each panel.
- Model how to correctly use each form of the word there/their/they’re in writing.
- Have students read Comic #2 and decide what form of there/their/they’re should be included in each panel. This can be done out loud or on a separate piece of paper.
- Have Students create their own 3 panel comics demonstrating their understanding of how to use the correct form of there/their/they’re.
Closure: Have students share their comics with other students and encourage them to use the correct form of there/their/they’re in their own writing.