Subject: ELA (English Language Arts)
Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Topic: Capitalization and Proofing
Grade Level: 4
Use correct capitalization.
Brief Description: Students will demonstrate correct capitalization in their writing.
Know Before You Start: This lesson reminds students to check their writing for correct capitalization.
- Display the Missing Capitalization Comic. Ask students to analyze the comic for missing capital letters.
- Have students discuss with a partner where capital letters should be used in the comic.
- Discuss when capital letters should be used (proper nouns, titles, the start of a sentence etc.)
- Model and discuss how capitalization helps the reader to understand text.
- Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a two panel comic demonstrating the correct use of capitalization.
- Panel 1: write a paragraph using incorrect capitalization.
- Panel 2: Show the paragraph written correctly.
Closure: Students can peer edit each other’s comics and check for capitalization.
- Print out the comic for students to correct.
- Provide visual reference for basic capitalization rules.
Resources: Comic to print or display: Comic 1.