Subject: ELA (English Language Arts)
Lesson Length: 30 mins
Grade Level: 7
Brief Description: Students will better understand the relationship between words by completing analogies.
Know Before You Start: Students will need some experience with reading and analyzing analogies prior to the lesson.
- Read and discuss Comic #1 and choose the panel that best completes each analogy.
- Ask students how they selected their answers. Discuss how to complete analogies. You may want to provide additional analogy examples.
- Model how to write an explanation for an analogy.
For example - apple : tree : : milk : cow
An apple comes from a tree. Milk comes from a cow.
- Discuss the various types of analogies - antonym, synonym, cause and effect, part to whole, object to purpose etc.
- Out loud or in writing, have students complete the analogies in Comic #2. Remind them to explain the relationship between the words in the analogy. For example: relish : enjoy : : cherish : care
To relish something is to really enjoy it. To cherish something is to really care for it.
- As an extension, students can create their own analogy comics.
Closure: Have students share their answers in small groups. If students created their own analogy comics, do a gallery walk for the students to view all the analogies.