Subject: ELA (English Language Arts)
Lesson Length: 30 mins
Topic: Multisyllabic Words
Brief Description: Students will analyze multisyllabic words in context to determine the meaning, syllables, and word parts.
Know Before You Start: This lesson will provide students with the opportunity to examine multisyllabic words. It's a great way to introduce new vocabulary or spelling words. It helps to have a vocabulary or spelling list ready before the lesson.
- Share the sample comic with students.
- Ask students to focus on the key word found in the caption of each panel and within the thought bubbles.
- Ask students to identify the number of syllables within each key word.
- Use the comic as a springboard for discussion.
- How do root words, suffixes, and compound words help understand the meaning of the multisyllabic words?
- How does breaking the word into syllables help with pronunciation?
- Ask students to consider additional multisyllabic words.
- Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a three-to-four-panel comic illustrating the meaning of multisyllabic words provided by the teacher. These words can be taken from a vocabulary or spelling list.
- Project the student-created comics and discuss the meanings of the multisyllabic words illustrated.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
- Adjust the assigned multisyllabic word based on students’ instructional needs.