Lesson Length: 30 - 40 mins
Topic: Operations and Algebraic Thinking; Multiplication/Division Word Problems
Grade Level: 4
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will use key words to solve word problems using multiplication and/or division and create a problem solving comic.
Know Before You Start: Students should have some understanding of how to use keywords to solve multiplication and division word problems.
- Review keywords and/or phrases to look for when solving multiplication and division word problems.
- Discuss Coach Kai’s word problem in Comic 1.
- Which key words or phrases will help them decide which operation to use?
- Solve the problem as a class. (Show panels three and four for the solution).
- Have students create a two-panel comic describing how they solved Coach Mel’s cone problem in Comic 2. In the comic, students should explain:
- Panel 1:
- Which keywords and/or phrases indicate the needed operation.
- Which operation they’ll need to use (multiplication or division.)
- Panel 2:
- A caption showing the equation they’ll use with a symbol for the unknown value.
- An explanation of how they solved the problem.
- The answer to the problem.
- Panel 1:
- Have students share their comic with a partner. The partner will determine if they agree with the method and solution of the problem.
Scaffold independent work by choosing one sample problem for students working below grade level to complete in pairs or groups.
Provide visuals or examples of multiplication vs. division word problems.
- Provide an option for students to write and solve their own multiplication and/or division word problem using the same process as above. Students who write their own should create comics that include a minimum of four panels.
Allow students to work in pairs.
Provide sentence frames as needed.
Allow students to write their comics in their home language.