Subject: ELA (English Language Arts)
Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Topic: Informational Text, Determining Central Ideas In Science
Grade Level: 6, 7, 8
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will use the See/Think/Wonder strategy to help them better understand scientific information or text. They’ll demonstrate their understanding in a comic.
Know Before You Start:
- This lesson uses the thinking protocol See, Think, Wonder. Students will observe/read text, think about the information, and pose questions about the content. This is an effective way to introduce a new concept.
- You’ll need to provide a selected scientific text, diagram, or image.
- Introduce and share a selected text, diagram, or image.
- Display the sample comic.
- Model how to analyze the material presented by using the See, Think, Wonder strategy.
- See: Discuss the key ideas students see within the text.
- Think: Discuss the ideas and thoughts generated by the content.
- Wonder: Ask students what questions they have or things they wonder about now that they have read the content.
Activity: It’s time to demonstrate student understanding in a comic.
- Provide students with another science selected text, diagram, image, etc. related to the same topic.
- After independently reading and/or observing the provided content, have students create a three-panel comic to demonstrate their understanding using the See, Think, Wonder strategy.
- Give students an opportunity to share their comics with others.
- Discuss how using the See/Think/Wonder strategy can be used with all types of text materials to better understand the content.
- Adjust selected text based on a student’s reading level.
- Provide sentence frames "I see____." "I think ____." "I wonder ____."
- Comic to print or display: Comic.
- Science Article, Diagram, Chart, Image or Content Material.