Subject: ELA (English Language Arts)
Lesson Length: 45 mins
Topic: Opinion Writing
Grade Level: 5
Brief Description: Students will learn to support a point of view.
Know Before You Start: Students will need some background knowledge of opinion writing.
- Read and discuss Sample Comic #1.
- Have students brainstorm reasons that support the opinion, “playing video games is a sport”.
- Students can talk in small groups and then share answers with the whole class.
- Discuss how writers must use reasons and information to support their opinion or point of view.
- Show Sample Comic #2.
- In pairs, have students choose one of the comic panels and list reasons to support the opinion presented.
- After listing reasons, have each group share their results.
- Discuss with students the importance of having strong evidence to support an opinion.
Closure: Read a short opinion article of high interest to students and have students notice the reasons provided by the author to support the opinion.
- Provide graphic organizer to brainstorm thoughts.
- Allow students to use speech-to-text feature.
- Provide opinion article at student reading level or read aloud.
- Allow students to work with peer model.
Provide sentence frames for students to use (ex: ____ is the best ____ because _______.).