Subject: ELA (English Language Arts)
Lesson Length: 45 mins
Topic: Opinion Writing
Grade Level: 5
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will learn to support a point of view.
Know Before You Start: Students will need some knowledge of opinion writing.
Read and discuss sample Comic 1.
Have students brainstorm reasons that support the opinion, “playing video games is a sport.”
Allow students to discuss in small groups and share answers with the class.
Discuss how writers must use reasons and information to support their opinion or point of view.
Show sample Comic 2.
In pairs, have students choose one of the comic panels and list reasons to support the opinion presented.
After listing reasons, have each group share their results.
Discuss with students the importance of having strong evidence to support an opinion.
- Have students create a comic expressing an opinion about a topic of their choice.
- Read a short opinion article of high interest to students and have students identify the reasons provided by the author to support the opinion.
- Create a gallery walk to display the completed comics.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.
Provide a graphic organizer to brainstorm thoughts.
Provide an opinion article at the student reading level or read aloud.
Allow students to work with a peer model.
Provide sentence frames for students to use. For example, ( ____ is the best ____ because _______.).