Subject: Social Studies
Lesson Length: 45 - 50 mins
Grade Level: 4
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will explore the first colonists who settled in their community.
Know Before You Start: It helps for students to be aware of their state geography. Students should know the terms: colonists, colony, immigration, settlers.
- Read and discuss the sample comic.
- Show students a map of their state. Separate the map into sections based on the groups that settled there.
- Have students identify their community or region on the map.
- It’s helpful to remind students of the indigenous groups that lived in these areas prior to colonization.
- Have students select a region on the map and explore the colonists that settled in that area.
- Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a one-to-two-panel comic that gives a general overview of these colonists.
- Have students print their comics and post them in the classroom in relation to the geographic layout of their state.
- Students can discuss any patterns they see and infer why certain groups settled in different areas.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
- Provide an outline of certain colonists to assist students as needed.
- Comic to print or display
Suggested Content Packs: