Subject: Social Studies
Lesson Length: 45 mins
Topic: Establishment of the State
Brief Description: Students will identify significant figures and understand why their state was founded and established.
Know Before You Start: Students should understand reasons why people migrate and/or emigrate to a new place.
Read and discuss the sample comic.
Have students discuss and share reasons people move to new places. Ask leading questions to find out how much they know about why people settled in their state.
Based on what they know about their own area or region in the state, have students describe why they believe people settled there.
- Introduce the following vocabulary:
Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a three-panel comic showing:
Panel 1: Significant figures or founders in the establishment of the state.
Panel 2: Cultural background of the founding group(s) and reasons they settled in the area.
Panel 3: Values and beliefs of the founding group(s).
- Create a gallery walk to display the finished comics.
- Discuss the reasons people settled in new areas.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Provide sentence frames as needed.
- Print out the sample comic for reference.
- Comic to print or display: Comic.
Give students a KWL Chart.
K - what they already know and can lead to the “Hook” discussion.
W - questions they need answered to help guide them through the research.
L - take notes on the new information while researching to help them create their comic