Subject: SEL (Social-Emotional Learning)
Lesson Length: 15 - 20 mins
Grade Level: 4, 5, 6
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will use a comic to guide themselves through a short mindful practice.
Know Before You Start: Students should know the definition of mindfulness and how it can impact emotional health.
What are some things might be stressful?
How do you cope when you are feeling overwhelmed or stressed?
Explain that all it takes to recenter yourself is as easy as counting backwards from five! Let’s begin in 5...4...3...2...1
Print or display the sample comic.
Ask students to think about how they are feeling both in their brains and in their bodies. Let them share.
Walk the class through each panel of the comic, practicing the mindfulness techniques in each.
- Have students create a comic using the mindful practices shown in the sample comic.
- Ask students to reflect on how they are feeling after these mindfulness activities.
- Do they feel different than before they did it? How so?
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
Provide visual representations of stressful situations.
Display key words to describe feelings in our brains vs. body.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.