Subject: SEL (Social-Emotional Learning)
Lesson Length: 20 - 30 mins
Grade Level: 4, 5, 6, 7
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will create a comic journal documenting what they’re grateful for.
Know Before You Start: Understand the practice and science of gratitude and why it’s important for mental and emotional health.
- Have students imagine something or someone they’re truly grateful for.
- What do they see?
- What do they feel?
- Discuss what they envisioned and the emotions they experienced. For example, feeling warmth, feeling safe, feeling less tense or feeling happy.
- Explain that gratitude isn’t just saying “thank you."
- Practicing daily gratitude has been scientifically proven to have long-lasting effects on the body and especially the brain. The more you practice the more positive your perspective becomes. (Greater Good Magazine, Berkeley.edu).
- Each comic entry should include:
- A date.
- A description of a person, thing, or event they are thankful for.
- Characters, outfits and backgrounds that help illustrate their gratitude.
- Who unconditionally supports you in your life? Thank them and tell them why they are so special to you in a comic.
- What is a place you are grateful to have visited or get to be in often? Describe why you like it in your comic.
- What talents are you grateful? Show your avatar being grateful for those talents.
- What is one memory you are grateful to have? Show that memory and why you are grateful for it.
- Have students create one or more entries each week in a journal of gratitude comic.
- Reflection Questions:
- How has routinely practicing gratitude changed you emotionally? Mentally?
- Have you practiced gratitude in different ways, e.g., sent a thank you letter, called someone to thank them, etc.
- Provide checklist for comic expectations.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Comic to print or display: Comic.
Under the Lemon Moon by Edith Hope. (Grades 4-5)
Thanks A Million by Nikki Grimes. (Grades 4-5)
I Will Always Write Back by Caitlin Alifirenka & Martin Ganda. (Grades 6-7)
Suggested Content Packs: