Subject: ESL/ELL (English Language Learning)
Lesson Length: 45 - 60 mins
Topic: Verb Tenses
Grade Level: 2, 3, 4, 5
Objective: Critical thinking, Narration
Standards: CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.2.1, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.3.1, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.5.1
Brief Description: Students will work on using present, past, and future tenses with appropriate time markers when speaking and writing.
Know Before You Start: Students should have an understanding of concepts of past, present, and future. Use this lesson as a culminating activity once you have taught the past, present, and future verb tenses.
Hook: Read and discuss the sample comic. Is each caption in present, past, or future tense? Point out the commonalities and differences when changing the verb between tenses. For example: Typically when we talk about the past, we add -ed, in the present we add -ing. Draw attention to the usage of the helping verb “will” to show future tense.
- Using Comic 2 as a guide, have students create a comic that uses captions to show the definitions of past, present, and future tenses.
- Have the students give examples the verb tenses inside the speech bubbles.
Closure: Have students practice reading their comics aloud to a partner or small group to promote oral language skills. Provide immediate feedback as students are speaking to help reinforce the proper tenses.
- Provide sentence stems as needed
- Allow students to use the speech to text feature.
- Allow students to work with a peer model.
- Provide a list of common verbs and their conjugations.