Subject: SEL (Social-Emotional Learning)
Lesson Length: 30 - 40 mins
Grade Level: 4, 5, 6
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will learn the difference between joking and bullying.
Know Before You Start: Students should be made aware of school policies on bullying.
- Share and discuss the sample comic.
In small groups, have students discuss each scenario:
- Is it joking or bullying?
- How do they know?
- Have they ever seen something like this happen? Has it happened to them?
- How do you cope or support the victim in this situation?
- Create a three-panel comic describing a bullying scenario where the bully thought they were joking, but another person felt bullied
- Have students discuss their comics.
- Was it easy telling which was playful joking and which was bullying?
- Why or why not?
- How might today’s comic scenarios make an impact on how we interact with friends and peers?
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
Provide questions for small group discussion.
Provide sentence frames as needed.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.