Subject: STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math)
Lesson Length: 30 - 40 mins
Topic: STEM Components & Careers - STEM Career
Grade Level: 4, 5
Objective: Critical thinking, Explanation
STEM learning goals
Brief Description: In this lesson, students will choose a STEM career that interests them.
Know Before You Start: Students should be familiar with the components of STEM (science, technology, engineering, math).
Hook: Read and discuss the comic about STEM careers. Do any of the careers in the comic look interesting? What are some other STEM careers?
- Ask students to brainstorm a STEM related career that interests them
- As a class or with a partner, have students discuss how their chosen career relates to STEM.
- Students will now create a 4-6 frame comic including the following information:
- The career that interests them
- How that career relates to STEM
- Skills that would be important to have for their chosen career
- Why they chose that career
Closure: Have students share their comics with a partner who chose a career that relates to the same aspect of STEM (science, technology, engineering, math).
- Assign students a specific STEM career as needed.
- Provide sentence frames for student comic.
- Allow students to use speech-to-text feature as needed.
Resources: Comic to print or display: Comic 1.