Subject: STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math)
Lesson Length: 30 - 40 mins
Topic: STEM Components and Careers
Brief Description: Students will imagine a solution to a real life STEM problem by creating a STEM superhero comic.
Know Before You Start: Students should be familiar with the components of STEM; science, technology, engineering, math.
- Read and discuss the sample comic.
- What type of real life STEM problems could our hero solve with their superpowers?
Brainstorm real-life problems facing kids, adults, and animals in the world today. Record students' suggestions on the board.
Have students select one of these problems for their STEM superhero to solve.
Have students create an eight-panel comic including:
A superhero with a superpower based on a component of STEM.
Their hero solving a real-life problem using their superpower(s).
- Share and discuss the completed comics.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.
Provide examples of STEM superheroes and assign them to specific students as needed.
Provide sentence frames as needed.