Subject: ELA (English Language Arts)
Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Topic: Perfect Verb Tenses
Grade Level: 5
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will learn about perfect verb tenses. They will create a comic to demonstrate their understanding of perfect verb tenses.
Know Before You Start: This is an introductory lesson for perfect verb tenses. Students will recognize that perfect verb tenses indicate when an action was completed, is completed, or will be completed.
- Read and discuss the sample comic.
- What is taking place?
- When is the action taking place?
- What words are used to convey the completion of the task?
- Discuss that the character completed an action, or perfected the action in each panel. Have students notice that the words have, has, or had are used to communicate this completion of the action.
- Have students brainstorm other examples of perfect verb tenses using have, has, or had.
Activity: Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a three-panel comic showing examples of perfect verb tenses.
- Give students an opportunity to share their comics with the class.
- Discuss how students can use perfect verb tenses in their writing.
- Pair visual cues with the verb phrases to show time progression.
- Explicitly teach present, past, future perfect tense structure e.g., subject+ has/have+ past participle + object = present perfect tense.
- Comic to print or display: Comic.