Subject: ELA (English Language Arts)
Lesson Length: 2 - 3 class sessions
Topic: Short Research Project, Informational Writing
Grade Level: 4, 5
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will conduct a short research project about a topic. Students will create a comic to demonstrate their understanding of the researched topic of their choice.
Know Before You Start: This lesson will provide students with the opportunity to conduct a short research project. You can customize the research requirements to meet your goals.
- Read and discuss the sample comic.
- Which facts do you find interesting?
- What do you notice about the organization of the comic?
- Point out that the comic includes:
- An introduction panel
- Five key facts about the topic
- A conclusion
- Explain that this is a simple framework for informational writing.
- Have students select a topic or choose from a list of topics provided by the teacher.
- Allow students time to research the topic, this may take one or two class sessions.
- When their research is completed, have students create a seven-panel comic including an introduction, five facts, and conclusion.
- Allow students to share their comics with the class or in groups.
- Combine the comics to create a class book.
- Print out panels or provide a graphic organizer for research.
- Provide text at a student’s independent reading level or provide an audio recording.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
- Comic to print or display
- Main Idea Web
- Concept Map
Suggested Content Packs: