Subject: ELA (English Language Arts)
Lesson Length: 2 - 3 class sessions
Topic: Short Research Project, Informational Writing
Brief Description: Students will conduct a short research project about a topic. Students will create a comic to demonstrate their understanding of the researched topic of their choice.
Know Before You Start:
- This lesson will provide students with the opportunity to conduct a short research project.
- You can customize the research requirements to meet your goals.
- Read and discuss the sample comic.
- Which facts do you find interesting?
- What do you notice about the organization of the comic?
- Point out that the comic includes:
- An introduction panel.
- Five key facts about the topic.
- A conclusion.
- Explain that this is a simple framework for informational writing.
- Have students select a topic or choose from a list of topics provided by the teacher.
- Allow students time to research the topic. This may take one or two sessions.
- When their research is completed, have students create a seven-panel comic including an introduction, five facts, and conclusion.
- Celebrate the students’ work by providing an opportunity for students to share their comics with the class.
- The comics can also be combined to create a class book.
- Print out panels or provide a graphic organizer for research.
- Provide text at a student’s independent reading level or provide an audio recording.
- Comic to print or display: Comic.