Subject: ELA (English Language Arts)
Lesson Length: 45 mins - 1 hour
Topic: Story Arc
Grade Level: 6
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will examine a story to determine how the plot unfolds and how the characters change based on the plot.
Know Before You Start: Students need to understand the concept of plot and how fictional texts are written with a story arc. An example is provided, but you may want to supplement with additional visuals to demonstrate this concept. Students need a fictional text to read and evaluate for this lesson.
- Have students look at the sample comic.
- Discuss the development of plot in a story and its importance.
- Share examples of common stories and have students identify the components of the plot.
- Have students consider how the characters change in each of the stories based on the plot.
- Provide a fictional text for students to read.
- Have students discuss the plot and how the characters change based on the plot.
- Ask students to create a comic showing the story arc.
- Panel 1: Caption Exposition. Introduce the main characters.
- Panel 2: Caption Rising Action. Depict an important event related to the story's conflict.
- Panel 3: Caption Climax. Depict the most exciting or tense part of the story, e.g., Luke fighting Darth Vader in Star Wars.
- Panel 4: Caption Falling Action. Show how the conflict was resolved or how the characters changed during the story.
- Display the completed comics in a gallery walk.
- Discuss the plot diagrams.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
Provide sentence starters as needed.
Preteach necessary vocabulary for ELL students.
Allow students to work with a peer model.
Provide a variety of texts with a range of reading levels.
Allow students to sketch their ideas before creating their comic.
Complete a comic with the whole class or in small groups before moving to independent comics.
Comic to print or display: Comic.
Additional examples of a plot diagram or story arc.
Fictional text material for students to read.
Suggested Content Packs: