Subject: ELA (English Language Arts)
Lesson Length: 45 mins - 1 hour
Topic: Narrative Writing
Brief Description: Students will practice planning and writing narratives by creating a comic.
Know Before You Start: This lesson can serve as a review or introduction to writing narratives.
Read an age-appropriate short story or picture book to students. Discuss what happened at the beginning, middle, and end.
Next, have students discuss their favorite age-appropriate movies or books. What happened at the beginning, middle, and end?
Discuss the following elements found in most narratives:
Beginning: Characters and conflict are introduced.
Middle: The conflict progresses.
End: The conflict is resolved.
- Have students create a three-panel narrative comic.
- Panel 1: Introduce the characters and a conflict, or problem.
- Panel 2: The conflict becomes worse.
- Panel 3: The conflict is resolved.
- Display student comics in the classroom or online.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.
Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
Provide a printed sample comic for student reference.
- Allow students to use a Story Starter.