Lesson Length: 30 - 40 mins
Topic: Operations & Algebraic Thinking - Multi-Step word problems using the 4 operations
Grade Level: 4
Objective: Evaluation, Explanation
Brief Description: Students will explain the solution of multi-step word problems using the 4 operations.
Know Before You Start: Students should have prior experience solving multi-step word problems using the 4 operations. This lesson would serve as a perfect formative assessment or quick-check mid unit.
Hook: Discuss solving word problems. How do you know which operation(s) to use? Which keywords do you look for?
Discuss how to know when a word problem requires multiple steps to solve.
- Look for hidden questions.
- Determine if all of the information needed to solve is present in the word problem.
Activity: It’s time to solve a word problem in a comic! Display or pass out copies of the sample comic.
- Students will choose either sample problem A or B.
- Students will explain the steps and operations needed to solve either problem in a 3-5 frame comic.
Closure: Have students pair up with a classmate who chose the same problem they did. Students will share and compare their process and solutions with one another to see if they agree and/if they are reasonable.
- Allow students to work in pairs.
- Allow students to utilize speech-to-text feature.
- Provide step by step directions for solving multi-step word problems.
Provide sentence stems, “First I ___. Next, I ___. Then I ___. Last, I ___.”
Resources: Sample comic to print or display: Comic 1.