Lesson Length: 30 min.
Topic: Solving Word Problems With Subtraction
Grade Level: 3
Objective: Evaluation, Narration
Solve two-step word problems using the four operations.
Brief Description: Students will better understand addition and subtraction by solving and creating multi-step word problems.
Know Before You Start:
- Students should have an understanding of how addition and subtraction are used in daily life.
- Have a list of subtraction problems that students can pick from to create their comic.
- Read and discuss the sample comic. Which operations will Arlette need to use to solve the problem? Are there any key words that helped?
- Solve the word problem as a class.
- Assign students a subtraction problem and have them create a comic to demonstrate their understanding.
- As in the sample, the comic should depict a real life subtraction problem.
- The last panel should show the solution to their problem.
Closure: As a class or in small groups, have students share and discuss their word problem comics.
- Provide more complex or simplistic subtraction problems as needed
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature as needed
- Have real-life examples ready for students to choose from
Resources: Example comic to print or display: Comic 1.