Subject: ELA (English Language Arts), ESL/ELL (English Language Learning)
Lesson Length: 30 - 40 mins
Topic: Sequencing Time and Events
Brief Description: Students will use sequence words to describe the order of events in a story when speaking and writing.
Know Before You Start: Students should have knowledge of basic transitional phrases for sequencing events.
Have students write about what they did that morning before school.
Have students share their narratives aloud. Discuss the sequential order of events and transition or signal words they used.
Discuss as a class:
When do writers put events in sequential order?
How does ordering events help readers?
- Have students create a comic explaining their morning routine using transitional words as they write.
- Use this activity as a reinforcement for following routines and procedures at the beginning of the year or a refresher later in the school year.
- Have students share their comic with a partner or the group.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.
Allow students to work in pairs.
Provide sentence stems as needed.
Provide the opportunity to role play the comics.