Lesson Length: 45 mins
Brief Description: Teach students to care about recycling with this creative comic lesson.
Know Before You Start: This lesson works well on its own or as part of an overall environmental science unit. It may be helpful to read a book or watch a video about recycling before students create their comics.
- Read and discuss the sample comic.
- What are some other ways that littering can harm the environment?
- How does recycling help?
Have students imagine a group of superheroes who are passionate about saving the Earth.
What might they do to help the environment?
Which villains might they face?
Using the sample comic as a guide, create a comic about superheroes who enforce recycling in your city.
- Display student comics on an “Environmental Superheroes” bulletin board or online.
Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
Provide printout of the sample comic for student reference.