Subject: SEL (Social-Emotional Learning)
Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Grade Level: 4
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will create themselves as “Perseverance Superheroes” and find a quote that inspires them to never give up.
Know Before You Start: Students should know the definition of perseverance. Provide motivational quotes for students to use.
- Read and discuss the following quote: “Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up.” - Batman.
- What did Batman mean by his words? How does his statement connect to the word perseverance?
- Explain that superheroes may not be real, but they remind us that even with super powers they still need to persevere to be successful.
- Discuss perseverance:
- Who are some people or what are some things that inspire you to work hard and stay committed in school?
- What qualities do these people have?
- What do you think they do when something gets hard and they want to give up?
- Explain that having perseverance isn’t just about not giving up, it’s about finding motivation and inspiration not to give up.
- Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a comic that depicts themselves as Perseverance Superheroes!
- Find a quote that inspires you and others to never give up.
- Design your avatar as a superhero.
- Use a speech bubble to show your avatar saying an inspirational quote.
- Print or digitally display the completed comics.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
Have quotes from which to choose.
Allow students to work with a peer model.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.