Subject: SEL (Social-Emotional Learning)
Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Topic: Self Exploration
Grade Level: 4, 5
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will share their life in a comic.
Know Before You Start: This activity is a great ice breaker or beginning of the year activity, but it can be used anytime.
- Play a few rounds of “This or That.”
- Give students two options to choose from, e.g., dog or cat, blue or green, tacos or pizza, day or night, reading or drawing.
- If students like one choice more, have them go to one side of the room. If they like the other option, have them go to the other side of the room. If they like both equally, they stay in the middle.
- Once students have moved, ask a few students why they made that choice.
- Using the sample comic as a guide, students will now create a six-panel comic about their lives answering the following questions:
- What is my name and what do I like people to call me?
- What is my favorite subject in school and why?
- What is something interesting about my family?
- What is a hobby I enjoy outside of school?
- What is something I’m good at doing?
- What do I want to be when I’m an adult?
- Place students into small groups to present their comic and let peers ask more get-to-know-you questions.
- Display the comics in a printed or digital gallery, or have comics printed and bound together into book for the classroom library.
Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
Provide sentence stems as needed.
Print the questions for student reference.