Lesson Length: 35 - 45 mins
Topic: Measurement & Data
Grade Level: 4
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will interpret data to write and solve a real-world word problem involving distance.
Know Before You Start: Students should be familiar with the components needed to craft a word problem.
- Read and discuss the sample comic. What data does the comic provide?
- Have students brainstorm and discuss what type of problems they could create and solve based on the data.
Activity: Have students use the data in the comic to create a three-to-four-panel comic of their own.
- The comic should present a real-world distance word problem using any of the data from the sample comic.
- Panel 1: Present the problem.
- Panel 2-3: Explain how to solve the problem. Which of the four basic operations will be needed?
- Panel 4: Solve.
- Have students share their word problems with a partner.
- Tell them to make sure to cover the last panel, so their partner doesn’t see the answer.
- Their partner will now solve the problem.
- Assign specific problems to students as necessary.
- Have students complete the “Word Problem Comic” with a partner if helpful.
- Comic to print or display: Comic.