Lesson Length: 35 - 45 mins
Topic: Finding Area and Perimeter; Measurement and Data
Grade Level: 4
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: In this lesson, students will write and solve word problems for the perimeter or area of a rectangle.
Know Before You Start: This lesson would be a fun project to include at the end of a unit on area and perimeter.
- Read and discuss the sample comic.
- As a class or in pairs, have students help Simon find the perimeter and area of his new yard.
- Review how to solve the difference between area and perimeter.
- Simon had to find the perimeter of his yard in order to buy enough fencing. Discuss other real-life situations where area and perimeter of rectangles are used, e.g., carpeting a room, fencing a yard, building a garden, etc.
- Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a three-to-four-panel comic word problem that involves area or perimeter.
- Panel 1: State the word problem.
- Panels 2-3: Explain how to solve for perimeter or area.
- Panel 4: Share the answer.
- Have students solve a partner’s word problem to help ensure that their partner is correct.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
- Print out the sample comic for student reference.
- Comic to print or display
Suggested Content Packs: