Subject: ELA (English Language Arts)
Lesson Length: 45 mins - 1 hour
Topic: Main Idea and Details
Grade Level: 4
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will demonstrate their understanding of the main idea and details of a story by creating a comic.
Know Before You Start: This lesson is a good way to check for understanding and can be used as a formative assessment.
- Ask students what Cinderella is “mainly about,” the main idea e.g., Cinderella wants to go to the ball but her stepmother won’t let her.
- Show the Cinderella comic. Discuss the details students notice in each panel.
- What details help the reader understand the story?
- Are there any important details that are missing from the comic?
- Discuss how details support the main idea of a story.
Activity: Assign a story for the class to read. As students read, have them focus on the specific details shared throughout the text.
Have students create a three-panel comic showing the beginning, middle, and end of the story that includes specific details to support the main idea of the text.
Closure: Provide an opportunity for students to share their comics with another student and discuss the main idea and details.
Provide sentence starters.
Allow students to work with peer model.
Print out the panels and allow students to sketch out their ideas before creating comic.
Gather familiar stories and allow students to preview stories before beginning their comic.