Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Topic: Comparing Decimals to the Thousandths
Grade Level: 5
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: In this lesson, students will compare decimals to the thousandths >, <, = by comparing weight, speed, or distance in a comic.
Know Before You Start:
Students should already know how to read decimals to the thousandths and be familiar with comparing values of decimals.
Students will need decimal cards, e.g., index cards with random decimal numbers written on them, up to the thousandths place.
- Read and discuss the sample comic.
- Do you agree with the decimal comparison? How do you know?
Have each student choose two decimal cards.
Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a three-to-four-panel comic, in which two characters compare their decimals in the context of weight, speed, or distance.
Remind students to:
Use >, <, = to compare their decimals.
Justify/explain their comparison.
- Have students share their comic with a partner. Partners will state if they agree with the decimal comparison.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
Display a class created anchor chart on comparing decimals.
Adjust the decimal values to meet individual needs.
- Comic to print or display
- Teacher created decimal cards
Suggested Content Packs: