Subject: SEL (Social-Emotional Learning), Special Education
Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Grade Level: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: This lesson is intended to reinforce and create an individualized calm down strategy for students.
Know Before You Start: Students should be exposed to multiple calm down strategies prior to starting this lesson. Students should be able to identify which strategies work for them in order to create their comic.
- Display a visual of calm down strategies that you have taught you students, or expectations that have already been established.
- Ask students which calm down strategies help them when they are triggered and experiencing negative emotions.
- Have students identify a trigger for them, e.g., losing a game at recess, someone cutting you in line, being left out by a friend etc.
- Have students create a comic that illustrates their trigger, and then shows them successfully utilizing their calm down strategy.
- Have students share their comics in small groups or with the whole class if they are comfortable.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
- Create the comic with students individually as needed.