Subject: SEL (Social-Emotional Learning), Special Education
Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Grade Level: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: This lesson is intended to reinforce and create an individualized calm down strategy for students.
Know Before You Start: Students should be exposed to multiple calm down strategies prior to starting this lesson and be able to identify which strategies work for them.
- Display a visual of calm down strategies that you have taught you students, or expectations that have already been established.
- Ask students which calm down strategies help them when they are triggered and experiencing negative emotions.
- Have students identify a trigger for them, e.g., losing a game at recess, someone cutting you in line, being left out by a friend etc.
- Have students create a comic that illustrates their trigger, and then shows them successfully utilizing their calm down strategy.
- Have students share their comics in small groups or with the whole class if they are comfortable.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
- Create the comic with students individually as needed.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.