Subject: STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math)
Lesson Length: 35 - 45 mins
Topic: STEM Challenges
Grade Level: 4, 5
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: In this lesson, students will imagine an invention that would solve a problem at home or at school.
Know Before You Start: Review the STEM challenge process with students before the lesson.
- Read and discuss the sample comic.
- Discuss how the character invented something to solve an everyday problem.
Have students brainstorm a list of everyday problems that they face at home and at school.
Have students think of an invention that can solve this problem.
Using the sample comic as a guide, have them create a six-panel comic including the following:
State the problem.
Identify potential solutions.
Test, reflect, and iterate.
- Have students share their comics describing their inventions with a partner.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
Allow students to work with a peer model.
Provide sentence frames as needed.
- Provide a list of everyday problems from which to choose.
- Comic to print or display: Comic.
Suggested Content Packs:
Suggested Story Starters: