Lesson Length: 35 - 45 mins
Topic: Adding and Subtracting Fractions With Like Denominators; Numbers and Operations: Fractions
Grade Level: 4
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: In this lesson, students will write and solve word problems involving the addition or subtraction of fractions with like denominators.
Know Before You Start: Students should be familiar with fractions, as well as the terms numerator and denominator.
- Read and discuss the sample comic.
- Have you ever used fractions while baking?
- Have you ever made a “bake” mistake?
- Review what like denominators are.
- As a class or in pairs, solve and discuss each of the questions in the comic.
- Will you be adding and subtracting like or unlike fractions?
- Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a three-to-five-panel comic word problem. The comic should include:
- A word problem that includes adding or subtracting fractions.
- An explanation of how to solve the problem.
- The answer to the problem.
- You may wish to have students provide a visual fraction model to accompany their word problem. This can be done on a separate piece of paper.
- Have students read their comics to a partner.
- Have students solve the problem their partner creates to make sure that they agree with the answer.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.
- Provide a list of pre-made word problems for students who are struggling with the concept.
- Allow advanced students to use fractions with unlike denominators.