Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Topic: Animal Habitats
Grade Level: 1, 2
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Frogs, monkeys, polar bears and more! Learn about the different habitats animals live in.
Know Before You Start: Students should understand that a habitat is where an animal naturally lives and thrives. It is helpful for them to be familiar with animals from different climates and locations.
- Begin by asking , "How many of you have visited a zoo?"
- Use this discussion to identify different types of animals.
- Show photographs of at least three different animal enclosures and have them discuss how they differ.
- Have students browse the Backgrounds and match an animal with its habitat.
- Create a three-panel comic showing each animal within its habitat.
- Each panel should explain how the animal has adapted to that environment and how each habitat helps the animal to survive.
- Have students share their comics with the whole class or in small groups.
- Have them identify animals that share similar habitats.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Provide information about the habitats and/or animals, or allow students to research these facts.
- Comic to print or display: Comic.
- Book: National Geographic Kids Readers: Animal Homes.
Suggested Content Packs: