Lesson Length: 30 - 40 mins
Grade Level: 4
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: In this lesson, students will classify a given set of shapes and provide an explanation to justify their answer.
Know Before You Start: Students should be familiar with the properties of different types of triangles and other 2-D shapes.
- Have students observe the sample comic. Have them think about why the shapes are in each group.
- Explain that students will utilize the sample comic to create their own comic.
- Have students choose Group A or Group B from the sample comic.
- Students will create a two-to-three-panel comic about that group:
- Panel 1: Students will state the type of 2-D shape presented in the group.
- Panels 2-3: Students will provide an explanation justifying the properties of the given 2-D shape including its lines and angles.
- Have students share their comics with a partner that chose a different sample comic than they chose.
- Are the properties of the shape justified correctly? Why or why not?
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
- Provide definitions and visuals for vocabulary.