Subject: ESL/ELL (English Language Learning)
Lesson Length: 30 - 45 min
Topic: Answering Yes and No Questions
Grade Level: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Ask and answer questions with yes and no
Brief Description: Students will practice asking and answering "yes" or "no” questions with the verb “do”.
Know Before You Start: Students should be familiar with present form do, does and the past tense form did.
- Discuss the comic above and model yes/no questions with the class.
- Review the following question starters: am, is, are, was, were, have, had, do, does, did, can, will, should.
- Have students practice forming questions and answering using both positive and negative statements. Ex: “Do you like ice cream?” “Yes, I do.” or “No, I do not.”
- Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a comic depicting a conversation between at least two people.
- The comic should include a yes/no question beginning with “Do” or “Does.”
Closure: Have students share their comics with the class. Ensure students are using the correct subject-verb agreement while answering yes/no questions.
- Example comic to print or display: Comic