Subject: ESL/ELL (English Language Learning)
Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Topic: Answering Yes or No Questions
Brief Description: Students will practice asking and answering "yes" or "no” questions with the verb “do”.
Know Before You Start: Students should be familiar with present form do, does, and the past tense form did.
Discuss the sample comic above and model yes or no questions with the class.
Review the following question starters: am, is, are, was, were, have, had, do, does, did, can, will, should.
Have students practice forming questions and answering using both positive and negative statements. For example, “Do you like ice cream?” “Yes, I do.” or “No, I do not.”
Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a comic depicting a conversation between two people.
The comic should include a yes or no question beginning with “Do” or “Does.”
- Have students share their comics with the class. Ensure students are using the correct subject-verb agreement while answering yes or no questions.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.
- Allow students to work with a peer model.
- Provide sentence frames for students “Do you like _____?” “Yes/No I do/do not like _____.” “Do you want _____?” “Yes/no I do/do not want ____.”