Subject: SEL (Social-Emotional Learning)
Lesson Length: 30 - 40 mins
Topic: Writing Opinions
Write opinion pieces on topics or texts, supporting a point of view with reasons and information.
Brief Description: Play a game of Would You Rather with your students to make writing opinion texts even more fun than it already is with Pixton!
Know Before You Start: Brainstorm some "Would You Rather?" scenarios to discuss with the class.
- Read and discuss the "Would You Rather?" comic as a class. Have students share and support their opinions.
- Have students brainstorm several more "Would You Rather?" questions to discuss with the class.
- Students will create a three panel "Would You Rather?" comic of their own.
- Panel 1 should include the "Would You Rather?" question
- Panel 2 should share their opinion.
- Panel 3 should explain their reasoning.
Closure: Share and discuss student comics. Discuss the reasons behind their opinions.
- Allow students to use speech-to-text as needed
- Provide sentence stems I would rather ___ because ___.
- Allow students to work with partner
Resources: Example comic to print or display: Comic 1.