Subject: ELA (English Language Arts), ESL/ELL (English Language Learning)
Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Topic: Context Clues
Brief Description: Students will practice using context clues to determine the meaning of an unknown word.
Know Before You Start: This lesson can be used as an introduction to context clues or a review.
- Read and discuss the first two panels of the comic. Remind students that they can use context clues to help figure out the meaning of unknown words.
Have students read panels three through six.
Independently or with a partner, have students look for the context clues in order to define the vocabulary words shown in all CAPS.
You may choose to model using sentence frames that are applicable for your students’ language level, e.g., "The clue _____ tells me that ____ means _______."
Have students choose a vocabulary word and create a comic panel that includes a context clue. They may choose words from a dictionary that no one would be able to guess without context clues.
- Encourage students to use context clues while they're reading to determine the meaning of unknown words.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.
- Adapt the sentences to be more or less complex as needed.