Subject: STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math)
Lesson Length: 30 - 40 mins
Topic: STEM Challenges
Brief Description: In this lesson, students will develop the idea for an app that will solve a school or home problem.
Know Before You Start: Students should be familiar with the design thinking process, in which a product is designed to solve a problem, fueled by empathy for the user.
- Read and discuss the sample comic.
- Do you think Kaya’s app will work?
- How would you make the app better?
- Brainstorm a list of common problems at home and or school e.g., completing chores, losing items around the house, being able to focus on homework, time management, sports practice, etc.
- Evaluate the list as a class, narrowing it down to problems that could potentially be solved with the use of an app.
Activity: It’s time to invent!
- Have students come up with an app to solve one of these problems. Have them sketch a diagram of the app on scrap paper or using a graphic organizer.
- Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a three-to-five-panel comic which describes the problem, the app, and how the app will solve the problem.
- Remind students to be creative and have fun!
Closure: Have students share their amazing app ideas with the class.
- Allow students to work with a partner.
- Provide visuals of common problems to help generate ideas.
- Comic to print or display: Comic.