Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Topic: The Number System; Positive and Negative Numbers
Grade Level: 6
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: In this lesson, students will describe the elevations and temperatures of locations using positive and negative numbers.
Know Before You Start: Students should understand the relationship of positive and negative numbers with their relationship to zero. This lesson would integrate well with a geography unit.
- Read and discuss the sample comic.
- Do you think there’s a relationship between temperature and elevation?
- What are some other ways negative and positive numbers can be used?
Have students choose a location around the world that meets one or both of the following criteria:
Elevations above and below sea level.
Experiences high and low temperatures that include negatives.
Have them research their chosen location in order to find specific positive and negative temperatures and/or elevations.
Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a two-to-three-panel comic explaining the high and low temperatures and elevation above and/or below sea level.
- Have students rotate around the room in a gallery walk to read each other’s comics. This will allow them to experience more negative numbers in context and learn about different places around the world.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.
Provide specific locations for students as needed.
Display student comic expectations.