Lesson Length: 15 - 20 mins
Topic: The Number System
Grade Level: 6
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: In this lesson, students will provide clues to the location of a mystery rational number on the number line.
Know Before You Start: This lesson would serve as a great quiz assessment for the understanding of rational numbers on a number line.
- Have students find the mystery number in the sample comic.
- Have students share their own mystery numbers with the class by giving clues.
Activity: It’s time to practice those number skills!
- Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a three-panel Mystery Number comic.
- In the comic, they will present clues about the location of a mystery number on the number line:
- Panel 1: Clues about the number.
- Panel 2: What is my mystery number.
- Panel 3: My mystery number is __.
Closure: Have students share their comics with a partner and try to guess their partner’s mystery number.
- Provide a number line with negative numbers.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Provide sentence frames for clues.
- Comic to print or display: Comic.