Subject: Social Studies
Lesson Length: 40 - 45 mins
Topic: How the U.S. Government Works
Grade Level: 5
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will learn about the three branches of the U.S. government and be able to differentiate between them.
Know Before You Start: This lesson works well as an introduction to the three branches of government. The lesson on “Checks and Balances” serves as a great companion to this activity. Terms to know: constitution and democracy.
Begin a discussion by asking: “Who is in charge of the United States government?”
Use this discussion as a springboard to introduce the three branches of government and why the nation’s founders decided on this method of governing.
Read and discuss the sample comic.
Which branch of government is represented in the comic?
What are the duties of this branch of government?
- Have students select one of the three branches of government.
- Using the sample comic as a guide, have students demonstrate their knowledge of that branch in a two-panel comic.
- The comic should include:
- Which branch they selected.
- Who leads this branch.
- What the job of this branch of government is.
- Use the "Jigsaw" method to group students.
- Have students present their comics to the group to teach other group members about their branch of government.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to work in pairs or groups as needed.