Subject: Special Education
Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Grade Level: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: This lesson is intended to allow students to practice asking for help while creating a future scenario.
Know Before You Start: This lesson is designed to assist students who may have difficulty asking for help.
- Ask students, “What do you do in the classroom if you need help?”
- Make a list of student responses. Explicitly review the expectations that the general education teacher has set in place.
- Explain that it is important to ask for help when we need it.
- Have students create a comic that illustrates a time in the classroom when they need help.
- Students will include themselves raising their hand and asking the teacher for help.
- Once comics are completed, have students act it out with you, or in small groups.
- Advise students that raising their hand is a good way to ask for help.
- Follow up with students later in the day to see if they accomplished their goal.
- Print out or display comics for students to have as a reference.
- Create the comic with students individually as needed.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Work with students to come up with a scenario that is unique to their needs and situation.