Subject: SEL (Social-Emotional Learning)
Lesson Length: 30 - 40 mins
Grade Level: 4, 5, 6
SELF-MANAGEMENT:The abilities to manage one’s emotions, thoughts, and behaviors effectively in different situations and to achieve goals and aspirations.
Brief Description: Illustrate a classroom or school expectation, comic book style!
Know Before You Start:
- Discuss class rules and expectations
- Prepare a list of rules you want illustrated.
Say: Let’s test to see if we know what rules and expectations we have in the classroom and school.
Explain: Students will start seated. When the teacher reads a rule, students should guess if the rule is true or false. If it’s true, students pop up. If it’s false, students stay seated. Play as many rounds as necessary.
Say: It’s important to remind ourselves of our rules and expectations often and a great way to do that is to make visual reminders of them to hang in our classroom.
Activity: Students will create a one panel comic depicting a class or school rule. Each comic should have the following:
- Student’s avatar(s) following the rule
- Background should align with where the rule should be followed
- Students saying the rule or expectation
Closure: Display student comics in order to create a rule and expectations wall as a visual reminder.
- Provide visuals of responsible behavior and/or rules.
- Print out rules/expectations for students.
- Allow students to use text-to-speech feature.
- Allow students to create multiple panels following different expectations for enrichment.