Subject: SEL (Social-Emotional Learning)
Lesson Length: 30 - 40 mins
Grade Level: 4, 5, 6
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will illustrate a classroom or school expectation in comic book style.
Know Before You Start: Students should be aware of class rules and expectations.
- Ask your students what rules and expectations they have in the classroom and school.
- Have students start seated. When you read a rule, have students guess if the rule is true or false. If it’s true, students pop up. If it’s false, students stay seated. Play as many rounds as necessary.
- Explain that it’s important to remind ourselves of our rules and expectations often and a great way to do that is to make visual reminders of them to hang in the classroom.
- Have students create a comic depicting a class or school rule. Each comic should have the following:
- Student’s avatar(s) following the rule.
- Background should represent where the rule should be followed.
- Dialogue should convey the rule or expectation.
- Display student comics as a visual reminder of rules and expectations.
- Allow students to use the text-to-speech feature.
Provide visuals of responsible behavior and/or rules.
Print out rules and expectations for students.