Subject: ELA (English Language Arts)
Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Topic: Understanding Prepositions
Grade Level: 5
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: Students will learn about prepositions. They will create a comic to demonstrate the use of prepositions in sentences.
Know Before You Start: This is an introductory lesson for understanding prepositions. Students will recognize that we use prepositions to show where or when something is in relation to something else.
- Read and discuss sample comic.
- What is taking place?
- Where are the characters?
- What do students notice about the change in location, space, time, or direction for each of the characters?
- Discuss that we use prepositions, or prepositional phrases, to show relationships between nouns or pronouns and distance, time, location, or direction. E.g., to, on, in, at, during, by, inside, under, etc.
- Explain that a preposition, or prepositional phrase, can also be “taped” to the front of a sentence with a comma, see panel three.
- Ask students to help generate a list of prepositions.
- Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a three-to-four-panel comic that uses prepositions to show where or when something is in relation to something else.
- Remind students that when a preposition or prepositional phrase comes in the front of a sentence it needs a comma to “tape” it on to the sentence.
- Give students an opportunity to share their comics with others.
- Discuss how students can use prepositions in their writing.
- Provide a list of prepositions for students to use as a reference.
- Use visual and movement cues alongside prepositions to promote understanding.
- Comic to print or display: Comic.