Subject: ESL/ELL (English Language Learning)
Lesson Length: 30 - 45 mins
Topic: Plural Nouns
Brief Description: Students will explore the rules for making nouns plural and practice using the correct spelling of plural nouns.
Know Before You Start: Students should have an understanding of common nouns.
- Display the first panel of the sample comic.
- Encourage students to share what they see in the picture while pointing out new words that may be new to the students, e.g.,
- "I see a ____ in the picture."
- "The word ____ tells me there is one ____."
Explain that when we add s to the end of most nouns, it will tell the reader there is more than one object or thing. Guide students through the panels and the ways to make nouns plural.
Provide a list of singular nouns for the students.
Using the sample comic as a guide, have students create a comic showing the plural form of these nouns.
- Have students share their comics in a small group or with a partner.
- Encourage students to listen for plural nouns throughout the school day.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.
Provide sentence stems as needed.
Allow students to work with a peer model.
Provide a list of common nouns and their plural form.
- Create an anchor chart to post in the classroom as a reference.