Lesson Length: 35 - 45 mins
Topic: Numbers and Operations in Base Ten; Read, Write, and Compare Numbers in Multiple Forms
Grade Level: 4
Standards / Framework:
Brief Description: In this lesson, students will read and write numbers in base-ten numerals, number names, and expanded form. Students will also compare numbers using >, <, = symbols.
Know Before You Start: Students should know how to represent numbers in base-ten numerals, number names, and expanded form.
- Read and discuss the sample comic, reviewing the terms in each panel.
Have students choose a number to express in base-ten numerals, number name, and expanded form.
Using the sample comic as a guide, have them create a three-panel comic featuring two characters:
Each character will share a number (in the hundreds or thousands) in base-ten numerals, number names, and expanded form.
In the final panel, the characters will compare their numbers using <, >, =.
- Have students share their favorite way to represent their numbers and explain why.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.
- Provide visual references and definitions of <, >, = .