Subject: ESL/ELL (English Language Learning)
Lesson Length: 30 - 40 mins
Topic: Concrete Nouns and Problem Solving
Brief Description: Students will define and provide examples of nouns, identify various objects, and use appropriate nouns while writing to bring clarity to the audience.
Know Before You Start: Students should understand that concrete nouns are defined as a person, place, or thing. Students should have experience replacing nouns with the correct pronouns.
- What are some common nouns around us?
- Have students work to list as many concrete nouns as they can and group them by person, place, or thing.
- Have students choose a noun from each category and circle it, e.g., person=girl, place=park, thing=phone.
- Show students the sample comic and explain that every good story has a problem.
- Have students brainstorm potential problems that could arise between their chosen nouns. Provide examples as needed.
- Have students create a comic that includes a problem. Students should name the nouns within their comic and replace the noun with the correct pronoun when needed.
- Have students share their comic with a partner or group.
- Allow students to use the speech-to-text feature.
- Allow students to use the voiceover feature to read their comics aloud.
Allow students to work in pairs.
Provide sentence stems as needed.
Provide the opportunity to role play the comics.